PERIPETEIA

A site for students studying English at 'A' Level/University. Discussion Forums and unique 
                                                  Online Seminars to build confidence, creativity, and individual analytical style.

Forums

Forum Home > Poetry > Yeats revision seminar, with Dr Carville

Neil Bowen
Administrator

Dr Carville's seminar will take place here tomorrow afternoon at 4 pm. The main poem we will focus on will be 'Easeter 1916' but we will also make reference to other poems by Yeats.

April 18, 2015 at 5:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Conor

Hello everyone. Very happy to be discussing the poems of Yeats today. He was a strange and brilliant man who among other things used to enjoy going to seances and contacting spirits. Which is a bit like what I am doing now. So let me begin by asking: Is there anybody our there?

April 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

sandd

yes i'm here

April 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Conor

You can just say hello and maybe mention a Yeats poem that you like.

April 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Conor

Thanks Sandd. Good stuff.

April 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kirsty

hello I'm here 

April 19, 2015 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FinnLacey

Im here also 

Hope

Hi, I'm here too. I quite like Among Schoolchildren and The Stolen Child.

Kwenti
I think, one of the major things to consider when reading Yeats is the internalised battle of the man of action and the man of thought. Which arguably led to his active desire and admiration for revolution socially and economically. Oh and, hey
April 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kirsty

I like Cold Heaven

April 19, 2015 at 11:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FinnLacey

the song of wandering aengus

April 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

RMcM

I'm not really a fan of Among School Children

April 19, 2015 at 11:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tristan

To what extent would you argue that Yeats presents the concept of mutability in political stability as a positive concept? Is his view of Nationalism conventional to the Irish public, or hopelessly and romantically implausable?

sandd

Hello everyone,

This is my first seminar and I'm discovering how all of it works. I haven't studied a lot of poems from Yeats and this is why I decided to follow this seminar.

Conor

OK. I'll assume there are some more spirits hanging around. One of the best ways of grasping Yeats career is to understand that he straddles two periods. He starts as a Victorian poet and ends up as a modernist poet.. His early poetry is quite dreamlike and escapist and full of fairies and myths while his late poetry is much harsher  and more violent. Can anyone name some poems that belong to either one of these two categories?

April 19, 2015 at 11:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tristan

sandd at April 19, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Hello everyone,

This is my first seminar and I'm discovering how all of it works. I haven't studied a lot of poems from Yeats and this is why I decided to follow this seminar.

I'm in the same boat with you there; first seminar too.

April 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Kirsty

The Song of Wondering Aengus, The Lake Isle of Innisfree belong to the Celtic Twilight period

ElsieCole

The earlier ones include some like : The Stolen Child, Lake Isle of Innisfree etc...

Chicken Nugget

Leda and the Swan belonged to his later collection and poems such as The stolen child and the Lake Isle of Innisfree belonged to his earlier collection

April 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

FinnLacey

more political work - easter 1916, september 1913

April 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.