PERIPETEIA

A site for students studying English at 'A' Level/University. Discussion Forums and unique 
                                                  Online Seminars to build confidence, creativity, and individual analytical style.

Forums

Forum Home > The Gothic > Gothic monsters

Graeme Pedlingham
May 9, 2017 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Graeme Pedlingham

*spate. Happy to send over some links!

May 9, 2017 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil Bowen
Administrator

Graeme Pedlingham at May 9, 2017 at 3:16 PM

Sure - so there are quite well known games like Five Niights at Freddie's, which manipulate anxieties around surveillance but reduce the participant/player to a very limited, claustrophobic range of controls. Limbo, for me is the most interesting recent one (2010). there are a whoel spare of games that reflect on the experience of mental health conditions in interesting ways (often through gothic conventions).

Thanks, that's really helpful - opens up new ways for me to explore the genre with students :)

May 9, 2017 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Graeme Pedlingham

Limbo does link quite well with the one other thing I thought I'd just mention, which is the concept of the 'limen', which is the subject of some attention in gothic studies at the moment.

Tom Eastment

It's interesting that you feel that it is necessary for the gothic to transition from paperback to video gaming. Do you feel that the same may be true for other genres and that reading books, as we know them, will eventually be replaced with this new format?

Graeme Pedlingham

The 'limen' is a threshold (like a door, a gateway, a window, but could be anything that has that function), which allows entry to the 'other' world of the gothic threat. It's interesting as the threshold is both part of the other world and the everyday, familar world.

May 9, 2017 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Griff

Like the cellar in The Loney or the bloody chamber in Carter's story?

May 9, 2017 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Graeme Pedlingham

Examples would include, for instance, the door at the beginning of J&H - which is described in very interesting ways in ch.1. An example I often use is the TV in Ringu, Poltergeist, etc. When we're thinking about blurring boundaries, the role of these threshold can be quite interesting places to focus on...

May 9, 2017 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Graeme Pedlingham

Absoltuely Griff - they'd work well. It's that condition of being in-between two states that makes it strange. I think this would be a good juncture to call it a night - many thanks for so many interesting thoughts, many of which I unfortunately didn't get chance to pick up on

May 9, 2017 at 3:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob Marshall

Is this then something borrowed directly from horror with the 'limen in infernis' which allows the denizens of Hell to pass from Hades to the world of the living?

May 9, 2017 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Eastment

Graeme Pedlingham at May 9, 2017 at 3:22 PM

Absoltuely Griff - they'd work well. It's that condition of being in-between two states that makes it strange. I think this would be a good juncture to call it a night - many thanks for so many interesting thoughts, many of which I unfortunately didn't get chance to pick up on

Many thanks, Graeme - learnt a lot! :)

Griff

Thanks a lot for sparing your time. This has been really helpful and interesting

Molly Livings

Thank you!

Graeme Pedlingham

A really interesting discussion - and if anyone would like to get in touch to continue it over e-mail, please do feel free! I'm on [email protected]. Always happy to talk about the Gothic, and esp. anything that hasn't been picked up here.

May 9, 2017 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Neil Bowen
Administrator

Thank you, Graeme for a very interesting and informative seminar. And thank you too to everyone who's taken part. Good luck with your exams!

May 9, 2017 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Graeme Pedlingham

Thanks all, g'night!

May 9, 2017 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rob Marshall

Thank you, Dr Pedlingham.

May 9, 2017 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.